Again, the railroad expansion helped found Reynolds in 1880. Homesteaders William Menary and W.H. Debuse enticed the Republican Valley Railroad to build its railroad through Debuse’s property. The name Reynolds was given to honor the father of a conductor on the Republican Railroad. The town was also served by the Burlington and Missouri Railroad, which eventually bought out Republican Valley, becoming Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad. The creation of Reynolds also resulted in the decline of Rose Creek City since the railroad had bypassed it. Many of the buildings here were put on skids, including the blacksmith shop, drug store, church, hotel, and school and pulled by horses over the hills to Reynolds.